Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Old Fashioned Idea Week...Blueberries ...


              Hi everyone...
Would you believe me if I told you that it is raining hard again?  Yup.. it is.. grin..
Oh well... 
This is day 2 of the old fashioned ideas from my old book..
Today the pages seems to have a kind of blueberry theme going on here..
First there is a recipe with a story..
I'm sorry that I did not get a chance to make it though as Terry and I did up chow chow, sweet dills and sandwich pickles plus went to Sussex to buy the cukes.. smile..
Yes, I am a bit tired but thank God for a sweet man who loves to help make pickles..
There is also a bowl of my secret ginger cuke pickle sitting overnite.. grin..

I will need to make these up first thing in the morning.. 
Anyway, back to my story... smile..

A blueberry recipe for Rustic Blueberry Sauce..
A few years ago I was here at the cottage and went into St. John shopping for groceries.
There were a lot of boxes of blueberries on sale because they had been crushed a bit..
As I stood there looking and trying to decide how many boxes to buy a sweet girl about Shonda's age was putting a few boxes in her cart.  I looked at her and she grinned and said she had discovered a new recipe and these would be perfect for it..
Well, you know me..I had to ask her what the recipe was... So, the patient girl stands there as I get her to repeat a few finer points to make sure I had it down pat in my head.. As soon as I could I wrote it down..
Here it is...
RUSTIC BLUEBERRY SAUCE..
3 cups of blueberries
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of water
2 cinnamon sticks..
Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 8 minutes..
Put in a glass bowl and cover with saran wrap.. Poke holes in the top..
Next day you can use it for waffles, over ice cream or cakes..
They were her suggestions but I freeze this in mason jars and then when I make cheesecake this is the perfect topping..
 It is delicious..
You don't have to freeze it but to be honest I don't know how long it would keep in the fridge so I always freeze it..
Hope you enjoy this..

Now here is something I wrote down..
 
Perhaps I had better translate my writing..

There are no marble topped tables, long mirrors or lace curtains in the little parlor but simple furniture, plenty of books, a fire and a picture or two..
Louisa May Alcott..
I must have been reading her book and loved that paragraph and thought it was worth remembering..

I know... I am different..just ask my family.. hehe.. 

Also.. here is a tip I think is worth mentioning especially as we are gardening..

NAIL WHITENER
1 denture tablet
1 cup warm water
Soak for ten minutes..
Sounds easy, eh?

The sweet company we had last weekend picked me a big tub of fresh blueberries..
Thanks Vick.. 
I made some muffins this morning..
That was before I knew I was going to do pickles.. grin..

And so here is another blueberry recipe for you...
Blueberry Muffins..
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Whisk together in your mixing bowl..
In a large measuring cup measure
1 egg
1/3 cup veg oil
1/3 cup milk..
Whisk this together and add to dry ingredients.
Just blend and then fold in 1 cup fresh blueberries..
Spray your muffin tins or use paper liners and fill almost full.. 
Bake at 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes..
This made about a dozen good sized muffins..
We ate them with our coffees on the way to Sussex this morning.. heheh.. (not all of them)smile..
I was reading the idea book to see what I would post tonight and thought that I should make them for breakfast before Terry got up..
smile..
They were just finished when he gets up and says that we should do pickles on such a rainy day... So off we went..

Well, sweet ladies thanks so much again for visiting and all your dear comments..
You guys are all so special.. I love doing this blog thing and you make it so much fun..
Just a little reminder before I end for today..
His grace is all sufficient..
Love to you all..

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar