Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Starving Games: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer


I am clearly not the target audience for Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer's The Starving Games. It's not just because I'm not a fan of the Hunger Games franchise and have read none of the books or seen any of the movies, it's that I'm not a teenager currently living in the year 2013. And because I'm not a teenager currently living in the year 2013, a lot of the then-timely pop culture references make absolutely no sense. Here is the problem with Friedberg and Seltzer's movies: they're immediately obsolete and outdated because of their reliance on pop culture references. I watched the film with my sister, a fan of the franchise who has read the books and seen the movies, and she admitted that a number of the jokes were actually quite clever parodies. And I myself must admit that some of the jokes did make me laugh. But the vast majority were puerile, stupid, nonsensical, and just plain unfunny. Whether it was the atrocious use of clip art for things as simple as melee weapons and fake toenails or the three separate scenes which centered on hilarious testicular trauma, The Starving Games aims for the lowest common denominator and still misses. Yet despite all this, I still think it's the best Friedberg and Seltzer film I've seen so far since a) it had some genuinely funny jokes, and b) it forced itself to have a coherent story-line since it had to follow a single film--much like their earlier project Meet the Spartans (2008).

3/10

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar